I don’t even want to begin to conversate about Nokia.fi’s pros or cons – I’ll just focus on how this achievement was published in the news.
I spotted the news at Digitoday. It states that Webmark, “a company that measures quality of web sites”, found Nokia’s website the best in Finland (according to their evaluation/survey).
Then Digitoday, as well as all other publishers, continues jabbering about survey/evaluation done, which sites made it to Top-10 and so on.
- I didn’t find a single link to survey/evaluation made
- I didn’t find a single line mentioning tools used in the evaluation
- I didn’t find a single line mentioning source for this bit of news
(Where did it come from (Heaven?)? Was there a press conference (where? when? who was invited?)? Did the company post a press release?)
2007? It should be 2008 now, shouldn’t it?
No press release about year 2008, just 2007.
Well, back to Google.
Tried “webmark suomen paras verkkosivu“. No source, no press releases from original source, just different posts with (virtually) same content. (Other queries returned same results, too.)
Back to original post at Digitoday. CEO’s of Webmark and Accenture are mentioned, as well as that “at the same time published research done by Accenture” – hey, I’ll just see Accenture.fi for origins!
Nothing at all about these things at “press” -part of their pages.
Makes one wonder.
Hey guys at Webmark, Accenture, Digitoday and so on, if you read this, please post (all or at least one of the following):
- original press release
- origin of this news (if it was published at conference or something, where and when?)
- actual evaluation data
- methods used at evaluation
.. and then I’m willing to believe Nokia.fi is “the best web site in Finland, 2008”.
I was contacted by Webmark about this post and spent interesting times discussing the survey and methods. I also received some additional material, which made some points mentioned above quite clear.
- Original press release was published at the given date at Webmark’s site, only in the afternoon (read it here, pdf)
- Announcement was made at “Vuoden verkkosivut 2008” -conference, 19.3.2009. (See the program here.)
Why didn’t I find the link nor the page? Only mention at Webmark’s front page about the announcement and conference (symposium?) was a flash -based banner, which got caught in my Adblock (it’s not a good idea to name banners “banner”, you know.). And when it comes to no origin at news about survey, thank our beloved and overworked reporters!
- Evaluation data is not available, but is based on methodology by Mr. Harri Oinas-Kukkonen from University of Oulu.
- See point 3 and press release.
(Bit more later…)