Photography is nice, even nicer when one manages to take photos to die for, so to say. (Like these)
Personally I like photography, like taking pictures, love the feeling when some of my shots turns out to be exactly as I wanted it to be.
And yes, I’d also like someone else than yours truly to see my best photos.
And as I’m all for Web and digital solutions, I’d like to share my photos online.
Simple google search with “share photos online” returns over 31 million results. Obviously no good for me, eh? Just simple clicking on first 20 results would take days if I really wanted to get to know the services offered. Not my way.
Then there’s this blog. WordPress offers some decent tools for image uploading and galleries. Well, why not?
- First: they’d be at my own server taking up my space and my bandwidth.
- Second: as the space and bandwidth are not free, I’d be the guy doing the paying part
- Third: This blog is located at joint server at a finnish ISP. I strongly doubt if it’ll take any serious amounts of load (which I don’t think my “fancy photos” would create, but anyway).
- Fourth: Licenses. Should perhaps get a CC-license or something as some persons roaming the internet tend to think anything without a clear license is free to take and use (which is not the case). Well yes, I think I have to do this, sometime. Not now.
- owned by Yahoo, perhaps the biggest web2.0 photo sharing tool on web.
- free account with 100 MB monthly limit (which is really decent)
- up-to-date licensing systems (cc, mainly)
- Somehow this just isn’t my cup of tea, don’t know why.
- owned by Google, perhaps more for private photo galleries than Flickr (imho).
- free account with 1024 MB limit
- TOS permits Google to “to use the uploaded photos to display on the website or via RSS feeds, and also for promoting Google services royalty-free”
- I’ve used Picasa for years. For some reason don’t like it.
- well. not exactly a photosharing tool but a social networking website. Has some sharing tools and your buddies are already there, aren’t they?
- free account, “unlimited amount of albums” – though in each album can only be certain amount of photos
- TOS permits Facebook to do just about anything with your photos (highlights by yours truly):
“By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide licence (with the right to sublicence) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorise sublicences of the foregoing”
- Used this one, too. Somehow the abovementioned gives me the shivers, though.
So, no decent shots to Facebook. Picasa web is not for me. Perhaps should (again!) try to use Flickr and then use some plugin with my blog.
Or then I’ll just post the photos here.