Now, I’m a pretty active person when it comes to recreational sports. I jog, inline skate and so on.
Major problem in past has been the measuring part: how to measure distances, paces and speeds? How can one go through the workout later?
Well, having gone through various different solutions (step counters, heart rate monitors, Sport Gps‘s and so on), I ended up with N82 and Nokia Sports Tracker. N82 has a built-in GPS receiver, which is nice. It’s also nice that Nokia Sports Tracker is quite good (the beta version).
IMHO, the mobile application is easy to use, clear and usable. Works fine, font is big enough so you can check out the readings while running or skating. Uploading to service works well.
Now, the problem and the title.
Nokia Sports Tracker Website is not that good. Again, flash where there’s no need for flash. Annoying things. Clearly not that good a grasp at social software. Usability hindered by small things (like the login page and disappearing usename if password wrong). Accessibility? don’t even mention it.
First things first: login (and usability).
- If password wrong, username disappears.
- no clear indication of mail sent (just the same form presented). Password is always reseted with the feature (hey, you can reset someone else’s password, how cool!)
Friends -page (after login)
- Thought this page would include all the routes and workouts from my friends. No, actually an admin page for friend functionality.
- Friend list: no choice to view my friend’s details, only to remove (them from my list). Is that odd or what?
Well then, how does one get to see friend’s workouts? Choose Community, choose person > friends. Simple as that, eh? All my friends at the moment being from Finland, would be nice if the zoom level of the map would be something else as the whole world…
- Ok, this one is pretty good. Shows one’s latest workouts on map (zoom level!) and as a list. Works fine. Small list with latest workouts from friends.
- Favourites -link shows a page with text “No data to display”. What kind of data this could be? Tips, anyone?
- My Profile -page: ok, shows some useful data. Curiosity: “Joined the service in the beginning” (Phee!).
- Sports Tracker is an excellent mobile software and a good service. There still remains a lot of work to do on the website, though. Still waiting for the first good Nokia Website!